Tom always wants to risk it. It was good to hear "Mee-yow! Mee-yow!" But I knows that mean trouble. Don't think wrong, I like goin' out at night with Tom, but I know it ain't always good. He wants to tie Jim up to the tree for fun. I said no-he might wake and make a disturbance. Tom wanted to resk it. So I let Tom play something on Jim, just not tie him up. Tom said he slipped Jim's hat off of his head and hung it on a limb right over him and Jim stirred a little, but he didn't wake.
Jim thought witches bewitched him and put him in a trance and rode him all over the state. Jim was monstorous proud about it, as he told everyone to New Orleans. Niggers would come miles to hear Jim, and he was more looked up to than any other nigger in that country. All thanks to Tom.
Tom Sawyer is a mighty friend. He loves adventures. He started a band and called it Tom Sawyer's Gang. Everybody that wanted to join had got to take an oath and write his name in blood. We musn't tell band secrets, or we must have our throats cut. Anybody done aything to a boy in the band, whichever boy was ordered to kill that person and his family, and hack a cross in his chest, the sign of the band.
I thought it was a beautiful oath. Then Ben Rogers says:"Here's Huck Finn, he ain't got no family; what you gonna do 'bout him?" They talked it over and nearly ruled me out on account of my father being a drunk. They said every boy must have a family or someone to kill, or else it wouldn't be fair and square for everyone. I was most ready to cry, but then I offered up Miss WAtson, and they said she would do.
No comments:
Post a Comment