I hurt for Jim when I found him. He had been hiding on the island since the day i was 'killed' and he hadn't eat no bread or meat. All he eat was strawberries and such truck. I reckonded he coulda eat a hoss if I got one for him. After I found him we went back to my camp and while he built a fire in the grassy plain I fetched meal and bacon and coffee, and coffee-pot and frying pan, and sugar and tin cups, and the nigger was set back considerable because he reckonded it was all done with witchcraft. I catched a good big cat fish, too, and Jim cleaned it with his knife, and fried him.
When I found Jim I was so scared. Afer hiding in the tree tops all night, I went searching in the coods on the island for the campfire I had found, stopping every minute or so to listen for sounds. By and by, sure enough, I caught a glimpse of a fire off in the distance. I went towards it with cautious, and by and by I got close enough to have a look. There laid a man with a blanket around his head. I sat there in the bushes for a while to see who it was and if I should run off. Suddenly he hoved off the blanket and stretched and it was Miss Watson's Jim. I bet I was glad to see him!
When Jim saw me he thinks I was dead, a ghost. I didn't know how he got there too, so we talked for a bit. I told him that I warn't dead. I told him the whole story too. He said Tom Sawyer couldn't get no better plan than that. I asked him why Miss Watson had him at the island. He says he run off! Run off! I hadn't met no runaway nigger b'fore. But he says Miss Watson was goin' to sell him even though she says she never would. He was so scared I was going to tell people that he had run off, but I said I wouldn't tell. People would call me a Abolitionist and depise me for keeping mum, but I don't care none. I ain't a-going to tell and I ain't a-going back there.
No comments:
Post a Comment