I Fool Pap and Get Away

Pap almost caught me this morning. he asked me what I was doin' with his gun real sour. I judged he didn't know nothing about what he had been doing the last night, so I lied. I says somebody tried to get into the cabin while he was asleep and wouldn't wake. He believed me.
Pap let me out of the cabin. I cleared up the river bank. I knowed the river had begun to rise. I reckonded I would have great times now if I was over at the town. Catching and selling cardwood floating down the river with Tom and the gang.
I went along the bank a little when all at once here comes a canoe. A beauty, too. I shot head-first off of the bank like a frog and struck for the canoe. I just thought there may be a something in there. But it weren't so this time. It was a drift wood canoe sure enough, and I climed in and paddled her ashore. Thinks I, the old man will be glad when he sees this-she's worth ten dollars. But then I judged I'd hide her good, and then 'stead of taking to the woods when I run off, I'd go down the river about her.
I says to myself later, I can fix it now so nobody won't think of following me.
Before Pap was t'other side the river, i was out of the hole I had made. I took a sack of corn meal, a sack of bacon, the whiskey jug then all the coffee and suger there was. I took the bucket and gourd, took a dipper and tin cup, and my old saw and two blankets. I fetched out the gun and I was done.
I had wore the ground crawling out the hole and dragging out so many things. I took the gun and went hunting for some birds when I saw a wild hog. I shot him and took him into camp. Then I took an axe to the door, brought the pig in, hacked his throat and let him bleed on the ground. WEll, next I took an old sack and put a lot of rocks in it- all that I could drag- and dragged it down to the river and dumped it. You could easy see that something had been dragged over the ground. I did wish Tom Sawyer was there; I knowed he would take an interest in this kind of business.

No comments: