They're After Us!

I was bored on the island, so I went for a adventure back in town. Jim and I founded all these clothes and stuff, so I used that to disguise myself as a girl. Jim and I practiced my walk and talk and how to do other girlish manners. I rowed to town on the canoe, and had to tie it up myself. When I got in town, I didn't know where to go. I was so nervous someone was a-going to see me and know I am Huck Finn and not dead. Then what if they had told Pap, I wouldn't walk this earth no more.
I went to a house close to the river, and when the door opened I saw someone I didn't recognize. Now I knowed about everyone in that there town, and I ain't never seen her. I says my name was Sarah Williams and I come from Hookerville. I was walking seven mile to tell my Uncle Abner Moore my mother was sick.
The woman clattered along. She says this and that about different peoples, and then she said my name! I asked her who done it to me, and shes says people in the town thinks it was Pap who done it to me! I was so happy that my plan had worked. But then she says that Pap had vanished, and people in the town heard that Miss Watson's Jim had run off the same night I was killed, and they put it on him. Sometime during this Pap caught wind that they says Jim done it, and he comes back asking Judge Thatcher for my money. She says too that Jim has three hundred on him, and many people are searching for him to get the money.
I had to get back t' the island to tell Jim and get away from there, but before I could the woman caught me not knowin' my name that I gave her. She asked me agian and I says Mary Williams, not Sarah Williams. Then she tells me to kill a rat for her, and throws lead in my lap. She knew I was a boy. But she didn't know I was Huck Finn.

No comments: